Paunar (Pravarpur) was the capital of Vakataka dynasty during the reign of King Pravarsena. The remains of the medieval fortification clearly shows the evidenses of Vakataka art.
The sculptures at Parandham Ashram belong to various period dating from Vakatakas to Kakatiyas dynasty i.e. 250 AD to 1200 AD. The sculptures of Ganga (Bhagirathi), Bharat-Bhet (Meeting of Rama and Bharat) and other numerous scupltures depicting the scense of Ramayana and Mahabharatas can be seen at Ashram. On left side of Wardha-Nagpur road, just at the end of Old bridge, there is a temple of Lord Vishnu. The iconographic representation of Lord Vishnu and Brahma is really a miracle. Read More
Mahatma Gandhi came Wardha in the year 1934. On the request by late Jamnalalji Bajaj, he selected the Segaon village for his Ashram or Kuti. Later this village renamed as Sewagram. Mahatma Gandhi continued his freedom movement from this ashram. Various articles, needy things used by Gandhi are kept here as it is. The premises of the Ashram having the Adi Niwas, Ba Kuti (Shelter of Kasturba Gandhi), Akhri Niwas, Mahadeo Kuti, Kishor Kuti and other historical places maintaining as its original status by the trusty of the Ashram. Permanent Photo exhibition of the Gandhi is there near the Ashram. Tourism and Development Department of Government of India have started the guest house beside the ashram for staying the visiters. In memory of Gandhi, Kasturba Hospital is established here in year 1944. Beside this, on 12thAugust 1969, Dr. Sushila Nayar had started the Mahatma Gandhi Medical College in Sewagram. Read More
This is the mandir where Vinoba’s Gitai became perpetual. Vinoba Bhave translated the Bagwat Gita in the book Gitai. For this purpose number of polished stones are brought from different places and arranged vertically in shape of cow and 18 Shlokas (sections) of the Gita are engraved on it. This temple is unlike to the general temple. It has no ceiling, no walls. Beside the mandir, permanent exhibition is arranged in Shanti Kuti in memory of Mahatma Gandhi and Jamnalal Bajaj.
In 1935, Fuji Guruji from Japan came to Wardha and met Mahatma Gandhi. He put the wish to setup the Stups (Prayer place for of Budha Community) in India. Gandhi agreed his desire and then after Stanti Stups were built at eight different places in India. One of that Vishwa Shanti Stup is found in Wardha. This Stup is constructed with the help of Japan in 1995. On the Stup the architecture is available describing the history of Lord Goutam Budha.
This is a temple of God-goddesses Lord Vishnu and Laxmi. It is big temple built in the 1905. Inner side of the temple is constructed with marble. Late Jamnalal have opened the temple in 19th July 1928 for Harijans(lower caste peoples). Near the temple a medical shop is opened free for poor people. Various books of Sansrit, Prakrit, and Ved, Upnishades, Bhagwat in Hindi languages are available in the temples library. A guest house of the truest is there near the Railway Station.
It is in the middle of the Wardha city. The museum is inaugurated on 30th December 1938 by Mahatma Gandhi. It has been developed by well known expert of Gandhian economic system, Dr. J.C. Kumarappa and Aaryanayakam whose extensive efforts brought forward the village industries and Village development concept. Read More
It is a public library opposite to Bajajwadi. Various books written by Mahatma Gandhi and books written on him are available here. In addition this, the valuable collection of literature, Economics, Politics, Social Sciences and other subject can be referred. The foundation stone of the Gyan Mandir was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad in 1950, and it was inaugurated by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru in 1954.
This institution was started in 1936 in Wardha under the Presidentship of Dr. Rajendra Prasad, as a result of a resolution of the Hindi Sahitya Sammelan at its Nagpur session.
The Rashtra Bhasha Prachar Samiti conducts Hindi examinations all over India and has published books of learning the national language. It is taking efforts to promote Hindi-our national language.
It is the residence of the late Shri Jamnalal Bajaj who played the host to all the national leaders during the freedom struggle, more specially, at the time of the Congress Working Committee meetings at Wardha. In the Guest House attached to Bajajwadi, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Sarojini Nayadu, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan, Dr. Subhash Chandra Bose used to stay during their visits to Wardha for meeting Gandhiji. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru generally stayed in the main Bajajwadi bungalow. During the pre-Independence period. Lunches and dinners were arranged in the back side open space of the main building. All the national leaders used to take food in the Indian style, sitting on the floor.
There is a Varad Vinayaka’s (Lord Ganesh ) temple at Kelzer which is also known as one of the Ganesh temple from Ashtavinayaka in Vidarbha region. The Sculpture of Lord Ganesha is found in the past period of Arya. In the northern side of the temple there is a stepped well, though popularly believed that it was constructed by Bhima, a hero of Mahabharata, was constructed during the period of Vakataka dynasty. (250 AD to 500 AD). There is a Vishnu temple of Kelzar located in the Market – on a way to the famous Varad Vinayaka temple. The black basalt/granite (?) idol of Lord Vishnu belongs 12th c. A.D. The iconographic features of this idol show high craftmanship and influenced by Kakatiya art of the Warangal. The broken statue of Mahavira “Jina” is found at the premises of the Buddha Vihar. There is a “Shri-Vatsa” on its chest. But now its pieces are plastered and it is named as a Budhha image by the ignorance of the people.
In Selu Taluka, village Bori is 32 K.M. away from Wardha. A dam is constructed on river Bor near village. The premises of Dam is having the beautiful garden and there is a reserve forest developed by declaring it as tourist place. This place is full of flora and fauna having hills with dense forest over there.
In the Bor Dam premises, this Dhamma camp centre and Stup is established near Bor water storage in Selu Tahasil on a hilly area. The financial aid is supported to construct this Dhamma Kendra by Taiwan and England.
Every year camp is held here. Many foreigners visits this place. The architecture of Stup is so beautiful that the statues of Lord Goutam Buddha in various expressions can be seen here.
This village in Karanja Tahasil, is near by dense forest so called forest village 64 KM away from Wardha city. Various animals can be observed in forest. The natural scenes can watch from available forest guest house on the hill.
This forest village is situated on mountains of Satpuda hill ranges near the sub river of Dham. Near about 3 KM away from this place , a temple of Lord shiva is surrounded by Caves. Huge fair is arranges here on the festival Mahashivaratri. It is also a tourist place in Wardha district.